The Horn of Africa since the 1960s. Local and International Politics Intertwined
Aleksi Ylönen et Jan Záhořík (eds.)
Genre de publication: Livre
Éditeur / Institution: Routledge, 2017.
The Horn of Africa has long been one of the most dynamic and politically turbulent sub-regions on the African continent. Host to great ancient civilizations, diverse peoples, and expansive states, it has experienced massive social, economic, and political transformation over time. Political dynamics in this region have generated military coups, revolutions and intractable ethnic, socio-economic, and religious conflicts.
This comprehensive volume consists of a collection of chapters by expert African and international scholars who analyze international, regional, national, and local affairs in the sub-region, which demonstrate the intertwined nature of the actors and forces shaping political realities. The contributions include carefully selected case studies of Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Somaliland, Sudan, and South Sudan that eloquently illustrate the complex dynamics connecting a spectrum of political issues.
1. Introduction, Aleksi Ylönen and Jan Záhořík
2. Turbulent Political Developments in the Horn of Africa in the Cold War: The central role of Ethiopia, 1960s to 1980s, Jan Záhořík
3. States Breaking and Dominoes Falling? Considerations of Separatism and International Recognition in the Horn of Africa, Aleksi Ylönen
4. External Factors and Their Impact on Internal Political Dynamics in Ethiopia, Jan Záhořík
5. State making, transnational clientelism and political communities in the Horn of Africa, Solomon M. Gofie
6. Ethiopia and China: Changing Relations, Gedion G. Jalata and K. Mathews
7. Eritrea: A Sub-Regional Menace? Aleksi Ylönen
8. Somali Independence and its political connections with Nasser’s Egypt, Antonio M. Morone
9. When the outside is inside: International features of the Somali « civil » war, Itziar Ruiz-Gimenez
10. Crisis of Statehood in Somalia, K. Mathews
11. Any Prospects for Future Peace? Politics and War Surrounding the Sudan-South Sudan Conundrum, Aleksi Ylönen
12. Affirmation or Erosion of Sovereignty in the Horn of Africa? The Case of De Facto State Somaliland, Urban Jakša
13. A hybrid actor in the Horn of Africa: An analysis of Turkey’s involvement in Somalia, Federico Donelli
14. South Sudan’s Oil and International Engagement, Leben Moro
15. Islamization, Arabization and the Break-Up of the Sudan, Yosa Wawa